23 October 2007

Photies wot I have done.

So, time to post some photies of The Knittery 4 ply Merino Cashmere Sock yarn goodness makings:

1) Vinnland socks

This photo shows off the dyejob pretty well. The Knittery doesn't have the right green, so I got a skein of undyed yarn and dye-Y-I'd it with Landscape. First I made a yellow (Wattle) dyestock, then added Marine Blue to it until it was the correct green (using coffee filters to check colour). Then I added dyestock to the slowly simmering dyebath, reserving a little stock, and put in the skein. I gave it a gentle swirl, then randomly squirted on more dyestock with a 5 mL syringe, and left it alone for a bit. While it was cooking, I made up a very small amount of black (Currawong), then squirted that on with another syringe. Total cooking time was about 30 minutes. The dye gods must have been smiling on me that day - nearly all the dye was exhausted, the colour is perfect, and the yarn came out ever so lightly variegated. I'm sure it will never happen again!

2) The Socks Which I Call "Normal Histology"

Daphne at The Knittery is giving $5 from every skein of this pinky yum sold this month to breast cancer charities. So I thought I'd do something experimental, with a norkular theme. If they're any good, I may write them up.

So far, the pattern is a toe-up, box toe construction, with one gusset inserted at the top of the instep rather than one each side of the heel, short-row shaping at the back of the heel, and bog-standard eye of partridge heel flap.

The keen of eye may also notice that the gusset is reverse stocking stitch, with some sort of lines and bobbles thing happening. All will be revealed in the fullness of time.

3 comments:

yarnivorous said...

Love your normal histology. LOL
Plus you had fun making the other sock's dye job! So much fun when it works, less fun but often unewesual when it does work.
As for your unwallpapering experiences, well YUCK! The hairs! Oh ick! I hope they are brush hairs but I fear not!

Lushorama said...

Hello!! I LOVE your 'norkular' theme socks, you're a bit clever, aren't you!!!

Lushorama said...

Oh,and I meant to say - it's been a lifetime since I've known of anyone else who says "photies" for 'photos' other than mu crazy Scottish family!!! Killed myself laughing when I read it!!!
xxx