20 November 2007

Self-editing: good or bad? Discuss.

(Essential background information: I have really long hair - about down to my knees when it's out, halfway down my thighs when it's plaited, which is usually)

Okay, so I didn't self-edit the gibberish coming out of my gob when I went bookshopping last Friday. My excuse? A week of overnight shift, followed by a four hour nap, and I'd forgotten what I had and had not said. I may have sounded like a loon but only a small one - just ranting about how I don't like film tie-in editions of novels and having completely forgotten that the background to this was still tucked away in my non-transparent head.

The woman I encountered in the public loos at Northland on Sunday also did not self-edit. And here is my message to her:

Dear Highly Curious and Unnecessarily Frank Person,
Next time, before you ask the complete stranger with the very long hair how she "manage(s) to go to the toilet with all that hair", consider two things: firstly, how would you do it if it were you? And secondly, is this really a question you want to be asking anyway? And when this complete stranger gives you the demonstration, by bringing her hair forward over her shoulder, perhaps next time you should just end the conversation there by thanking her.
And never, never again should you mention that one weekend, you wore a top with really long ties in the back, and you went to the toilet, and ..... Because that complete stranger you're talking to has just filled in the blanks and didn't need to know any of this.
Now if you really want a good question to ask, try this one: which one of us was more embarrassed?

It's an odd world.



No comments: